Library & Information Centre  | Contact | Ελληνική έκδοση |
University of Thessaly
Home page > About the Library
| About the Library  | Library Services  | Information Resources Search |
Kitsos Makris Folk Art Center
The «Kitsos Makris Folk Art Center» was donated to the University of Thessaly Library by his family after Folk Art historian Kitsos Makris (1917-1988) passing away. Since 1997 it is one of the Library and Information Centre's branches aiming at organizing and providing access to the Center's collection.
 

Information about: Εικονίδιο μετάβασης σε άλλη ιστοσελίδα Contact details (address, phone, e-mail etc.)
Εικονίδιο μετάβασης σε άλλη ιστοσελίδα Opening Hours  
Φωτογραφία κτιρίου Λαογραφικού Κέντρου Κίτσου Μακρή
Kitsos Makris Folk Art Center
Γρήγορη μετάβαση σε: Εικονίδιο μετάβασης μέσα στη σελίδα Kitsos A. Makris CV
Εικονίδιο μετάβασης μέσα στη σελίδα The Building
Εικονίδιο μετάβασης μέσα στη σελίδα The Folk Art Collection


Kitsos A. Makris short CV
Kitsos Markis dedicated his life in studying Greek folk art and culture. For a more detailed CV please visit the web page: "Kitsos Makris CV" Εικονίδιο μετάβασης σε άλλη ιστοσελίδα
Εικονίδιο επιστροφής στην αρχή της σελίδας 

The Building
The Kitsos Makris house was designed by the architect Argiris Philippidis and built in 1955. The two-storey 180m2 building is a typical example of a house inspired by the local architecture of Mt. Pelion, in which traditional features have been reformed and harmoniously embodied in a contemporary architectural creation. On the ground floor one finds the Folk Art Collection, the study and the living-room, while the bedrooms and the bathroom are located on the upper floor.
The study, a small room full of books, photographs and souvenirs, was Kitsos Makris' favorite place of work and creation. Because of this, it was decided to preserve the special atmosphere and character that he gave to his «private» room Ο χώρος του γραφείου του Κίτσου Μακρή
Kitsos Makris' study room
 
The living room resembles a «doxato» room of Pelion with a wooden arch and a superb 18th century ceiling removed from the Banti House in Drakia before its demolition. High on the wall of the living room (friza) Kitsos Makris painted Volos and Pelion «...not in the way the eyes see them but as he always carries them in his heart...». In the same room there is a showcase in which Kitsos Markis' photographs, pictures, books and awards he received are displayed. Ο χώρος του καθιστικού
The living room
 
Εικονίδιο επιστροφής στην αρχή της σελίδας 

The Folk Art Collection
The Folk Art Collection consists of 560 items, mainly from the Pelion area, dated back to the 18th and 19th century. Some of the exhibits are considered unique, such as the large wall painting by Pagonis dated from 1832 portraying the little house (paraspito) of the Triantafillou Mansion located at the Drakia village in Mt. Pelion. Pagonis also painted Greek towns and villages like Chalkida, Talanti, Douki, etc.
Τοιχογραφία του Αθανάσιου Παγώνη με τίτλο 'Ρήγας Φεραίος', 1870
"Rigas Feraios" wall painting by Athanassios Pagonis (son) 1870
 
There are also wall paintings by Athanassios Pagonis, son of the previously mentioned artist, dated from around 1870 depicting landscapes of Thessalian plains. The same artist has also created one of the most important folk portraits, that of "Rigas Feraios", which is also included in the collection.

Τοιχογραφία του Θεόφιλου με τίτλο 'Οι τρεις Καπεταναίοι συμφιλιωθέντες',1898
«Three Reconciled Chiefs» wall painting by Theophilos Hatzimichail, 1898
 
An outstanding part of the collection are the 25 paintings by Theophilos Hatzimichail, who lived in the area of Magnesia from late 19th century till 1927 when he returned to Mytilini, his birthplace. Some of his best-known paintings are included in the collection such as: «The Newly-Wed», «Three Reconciled Chiefs» and «Greeting May», as well as some of his icons, the most important of which is the «Infant-carrying Holy Virgin».
The last local folk painter Nikolaos Christopoulos (1880-1967) is also represented in the collection with 19 paintings illustrating his typical ships and sailing theme.
Of particular interest is a collection of paper icons printed from copperplate engravings made in the monastic laboratories of Mount Athos (The Holy Mountain) and distributed by traveling monks.

Back to the top (icon) 

 | Home page | Search site |   | Contact | Ελληνική έκδοση |  
Logo for valid css via css-validator    Logo for valid code via Watchfire WebXACT    Logo for valid xhtml code via validator.w3  
http://www.lib.uth.gr/LWS/en/ls/lkm.asp
Created: 2006-11-09
Last updated: 2007-01-10
Page Metadata & Validation
Logo of ESPA and go to www.espa.gr (open in a new window)   Logo of Europa and go to www.europa.eu (open in a new window)   Logo of digitalplan and go to www.digitalplan.gov.gr (open in a new window)    | © 1997-2016 Library & Information Centre | University of Thessaly |
  Go to printer friendly version of the web page (icon) Printer friendly version  icon
  Go to printer friendly version of the web page (icon) Printer friendly version